New Form I-9 Released
At the end of January, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) released a new Form I-9. The form is dated 10/21/2019 and should be used immediately. USCIS provided employers with a three month grace period during which the old form (dated 7/17/2017) may be used. But by May 1, 2020, only the new form should be used. The new I-9 form is available in AHR and can also be found on the USCIS website.
The following changes were made to the form and its instructions:
Revised the Country of Issuance field in Section 1 and the Issuing Authority field (when selecting a foreign passport) in Section 2 to add Eswatini and Macedonia, North per those countries’ recent name changes. This change is only visible when completing the fillable Form I-9 on a computer.
- Clarified who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer
- Updated USCIS website addesses
- Provided clarifications on acceptable documents for Form I-9
- Updated the process for requesting paper Form I-9
- Updated the DHS Privacy Notice